Friday 10 July 2009

What?

I have spent oodles of time preparing an Advice on the Law - formatting, paragraph numbering, underlining, italicising, spell checking, punctuating, word counting, (swearing), deleting, word counting again, tweaking and faffing, only to discover that when I copied and pasted it into the required (online) application boxes, the bloody thing looked like a 2 year old had done it and there was no way to alter it.

To add insult to injury, I then had to take an online verbal reasoning test, 30 questions, 15 minutes. Bugger, I didn't finish it and if I'm honest about 3 minutes into the test my brain just said "nope, had enough, not doin it, it's not my sorta thing, don't know what they're on about, damn fangled intelligence tests, don't need it, too old, too tired, too thick, ta ta, I'm outa here". I'm sure the timer said that I had 2 minutes remaining when it clicked off? Perhaps I had a space cadet moment and just sat there, oblivious to time and surroundings?


I'd have felt much more comfortable with an Ikea flat pack set, I can do those, in fact I'm impressive with them and usually only need the one sticking plaster when I've finished.

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk.


Looks like it's back to plan B then! Does anyone know what plan B is and where I can get one?







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you did it. I gave up after writing the first paragraph.

Good luck, though i bet you have done loads better than you think!!!

The Curious Black Cat said...

*Exhales noisily*

You know barmaid, days like the one you have described are not uncommon; for this you have my sympathies!

As for a Plan B, if you do locate it, please let me know also!

CBC

simply wondered said...

been applying for the gls, then?

Barmaid said...

LG - you are wiser than moi, I was up until 2.30 last night trying to finish the Advice, today everyone has been saying 'are you alright'? I guess I'm not quite myself:-)

CBC - Argh, my self-pity is passing and I'm now at the annoyed stage, by Sunday I'll be fine:-) School of hard knocks and all that.

SW - GLS? - Gormless Lady Sifter:-)

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

I think you sell yourself too short! As I understand it, you only have to a achieve a pass at both the advice and the test in order to be invited to the assessment centre, but I'll bet you've done more than just pass, especially if you've worked hard on the advice!

(PS: Plan B was last seen attempting to board a plane to Ibitha but was apprehended by the Bar Standards Board)

simply wondered said...

well i failed to be invited to the assessment centre last year; they were so desperate not to meet me that they consistently claimed there was no such recruitment happening. scarily kafkaesque.

Anonymous said...

Minxy - not strictly true, this is only true if you have a disability.

Else its a case of no pass mark they start top down and invite the number of interviewees in that way!

Like SW i didnt get invited last year and i just couldnt face doing that stupid pointless advice again!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that formatting thing was 100% irritating. I futilely fiddled with the tab button for a minute before shrugging. I think when they get a bunch of unformatted things to read they'll realise it was their cock-up, not ours...!

Barmaid said...

Yes Recorta, very irritating to spend so much time tweaking only to find that it looked dreadful when copied and pasted into those boxes.

Perahps the GLS will be tutting when they read the Advice's, thinking that no-one bothers to set things out neatly anymore:-)