Friday 2 October 2009

They'll pinch anything

Someone has pinched Bar-Os' water trough!

There were two troughs in the paddock, one at the bottom end of the paddock, the other at the top. In order to pinch it, the the thief had to climb over a locked 5 bar gate, walk 300 metres down the paddock, uncouple it from the water main, empty it out and then carry it all the way back across the field, over the 5 bar gate and up the lane. How much are these water troughs? About £40 to buy brand new - hardly seems worth all the effort, particularly when you consider that I live at the back of beyond and the thief would have had to drive many miles to get here. It's a good job that I noticed the theft, as the uncoupled water pipe was bent over, but still leaking water. The troughs aren't very tall and the grass grows high around them, so they don't exactly stand out in the paddock.

I had that typical pregnant pause when I went to check the trough, and for a moment I stood looking around me, convinced that my eyes were playing tricks on me, and I even prodded the ground, convinced somehow that the trough was just playing hide and seek.  

My knees turned to jelly yesterday when I went to the paddock at lunchtime to check on Bar-Os and couldn't see him. My immediate thought was that he too had been stolen and I quickly unlocked the gate and went running into the paddock shouting. Bar-Os was extremely annoyed to have his 'bum-scratching-against-the-field-shelter', rudely interupted by an hysterical woman and promptly made known his feelings with a look that, quite frankly, made me feel about 3 inches tall:-)

Today I have to make a start on some more BVC homework, probably the Negotiation stuff. The case is one that we covered in Advocacy last year and concerns a wedding planner chasing an unpaid debt. I also have some Drafting homework to do, but I'm saving that one for a while, as I quite like Drafting and would prefer to get the stuff that I don't enjoy out of the way. I still haven't revisited Hearsay, but will make an effort sometime next week to get to grips with it.  

My enthusiasm for BVC hasn't returned and I'm finding that I have to force myself to study. I suppose this is perhaps one of the disadvantages of studying part-time, in that there is no-one to spur me on when things get a bit hard going.

Earlier this week I cobbled together some notes for the next Advocacy lessons, where I will have my first stab at Examination-in-Chief and also Cross-Examination.

Our mock exams begin next month and it looks as though the studying is very intense for a few months thereafter, with a combination of mock and real exams (I still can't get my head around 'formative' and 'summative'). The heaviest months are looking to be November through to February and I keep spurring myself on by saying that come next March I will be on the home run. I must admit that I am very disappointed in myself and my attitude at the moment with regard to studying, and it is a worry that I no longer enjoy it. I find that although I enjoy the studying during the study weekends, the vast amounts of solitary homework are nothing more than a chore.

Oh well, that is enough moaning from me, I must make a start on something useful.

8 comments:

Swiss Tony said...

BM, I did a submission last week at playskool which involved a horse rustler stealing a drinking trough.

I lost the case. Just let it go. We are in a lawless society that has no regard to the thirst of equine 'orses.

As for the homework, its a grind isnt it. I am getting fed up with all the dot-the-dot and colouring in. There is only so much space on mummy's fridge to display it too.

Swiss

Barmaid said...

Bloody hell Swizzle, if your mum has got one of those great big American fridges, that's a heck of a lot of dot to dot homework to tackle. Keep spitting on the felt tips mate, they might just last out the course:-)

barboy said...

These horses, and what they get away with. When I scratch my bum on a bus shelter, I get arrested.

Barmaid said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Barmaid your being too hard on yourself. Despite the fact that you are finding it difficult to motivate yourself, you do, in the end get stuck in and do it.

However, i on the other hand - when i dont want to do something i just dont bloody well...do it. well, until the last hour when i have no other choice.

how about the idea of studying with someone else. you dont have to be doing the same course, but the mere fact that they are working might motivate you and make it less boring. just a suggestion!

Milly

Barmaid said...

Hi Anon,

Unfortunately in living at the back of beyond I have no-one to study with.

With the BVC fees as they are (steep!), I fully intend to get my money's worth and if only for that reason alone, I always try and do the work that my provider lavishly dishes out each month:-)

simply wondered said...

more importantly, have you counted the legs on that 'os? you never know. (if it is propped up on bricks that is not normal) - yours full of equine knowledge, sw

Barmaid said...

I didn't know that BPP did equestrian law as an elective SW, I'm impressed with your depth of the topic:-)