Wednesday 23 July 2008

Tut

Yet another visit to the Inn has resulted in disappointment for Barmaid. She was minding her own business, browsing the library bookshelves and sensed a man approaching in her direction. When he got within a few feet of her, she quickly glanced sideways towards him, to be met by that three letter noise - "tut". A tut can speak a thousand words, bloggers, but I'll keep it short. What the man really wanted to say when tutting, was "bloody women, they invade our private little realms of superiority, pretend to understand what it's all about, shouldn't be allowed, it's, it's, it's a disgrace I'll have you know, is no place sacred nowadays".


Barmaid quickly looked downwards, back to the book within her hand, but what she really wanted to do, as he swaggered by, was kick him up the arse.

2 comments:

barboy said...

Nice to read the diversity agenda is working.

When it comes to the dining, do the fillies get to sit with us chaps or do you get your own table so you can all chat about needlepoint ?

The 50-Year-Old Pupil said...

I would advise you, in life, not to guess at what other people are thinking. You are unlikely to get it right and if you need to know you should ask them. I think the appropriate reposnse would have been "I'm sorry. Am in in your way?" accompanied with a gracious smile. Who knows whom you may have met and struck up a useful acquaintance with. Is is possible that you were hogging the bookshelf? I too fell into this one when I was young when approached by a distinguished gentleman, whom I later found to be Sir George Deacon FRS, who asked me "Wouldn't you be more comfortable readng that book sitting down?" "No thank you," I replied, "I'm fine here." "No," he added, "you haven't really understood what I'm saying ..." Lesson learned in my case.