Friday 6 August 2010

Sad Times

Oh well, I might as well tell you - Bar-Os is very ill.

He hasn't been 'right' for some time and I've made excuses not to ride him because I just felt that there was something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Family members told me that I was worrying over nothing - his coat was shiny, his eyes bright, good appetite, no weight loss, no obvious signs of pain... But he was a little too well behaved for my liking, like he couldn't be quite bothered to be his usual cheeky self. Of course the warm weather seemed a likely cause of his laid back attitude and the flies have been awful this year...

He was well behaved with the farrier and there was no sign of the usual (effortless on Bar-Os' part) tug of war with the arrogant apprentice, who somehow thinks he's stronger than a horses back leg!

Anyway, following his breakfast last Thursday he went down with colic. I called the vet out and she tentatively diagnosed Cauda Equina Syndrome - it was something that she'd read about in the text books, but had never seen for herself. 2 more vets looked him over and it is more or less confirmed that he has CES. The second vet said that he'd seen 2 cases during his many years in practice, both fatal. The third vet seemed slightly more optimistic, but by no means certain that it won't get worse. The disease seems to often be caused by some other illness or infection and it kinda kicks in as an aftershock - it's a bit like M.E. I suppose, but causes paralysis of the 'rear end', along with lethargy. Spinal injury can also cause CES, but he's had no tumbles and the vet couldn't find any sore spots along his back. His blood count shows no raised white cell count, but he has a mild anaemia.

At the moment the paralysis hasn't spread to his back legs, but he has a limp tail, a weak bladder and can't pooh by himself (I have a plentiful supply of shoulder length disposable gloves and lubrication gel - I'll leave you to guess the rest). In order to save his dignity, we have told all of his equine friends that as a (putative) barrister's horse, he's far too posh to push.

Anyways, I'm sorry that this post couldn't be more entertaining, but it feels quite cathartic to share the worry.




13 comments:

Michael said...

Poor Bar-Os. That's very sad news.. I certainly hope he doesn't get any worse.

BTW, you painted quite a picture with the shoulder-length glove thing... :-)

Barmaid said...

Thanks Michael. I intend to set a new fashion trend - shoulder length gloves will be all the rage this Autumn.

At times the rear end paralysis seems to improve, which is very, very good news, but slightly worrying when I'm elbow deep and my arm gets stuck! Explain that one to A & E.

Barmaid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minx said...

My DEAR BM,

I am so sorry to hear of Bar-Os's illness; it must be awful to se a beloved and loyal companion in such a precarious condition, but I am sure he is steeled by your love for him and buoyed by your considerable and typical determination to do everything in your power to keep him well.
My thoughts really are with you both.

Barmaid said...

Thanks Minxy, I'll do my best for him

simply wondered said...

minxy's comment just made me aware how prone these dumb animals are to illness.
and bar-os, of course.
(ducks as usual in anticipation of well-aimed missiles)

i look forward to your attending an inn function in those delightful long evening gloves.

Barmaid said...

SW - the gloves are orange - I'm struggling to find an outfit to match.

AW said...

How is Bar-Os doing now? Bit better I hope?

Barmaid said...

He is a bit better thanks AW, still not going to the loo properly, but he seems to be gaining in strength - we shall have to wait and see as the prognosis is pretty awful tbh - we intend to amaze the vets though.

Hope your teeth are feeling better and the NY thing comes good:-)

Michael said...

Glad to hear that bar os is getting a little better. :-)

btw, you may have seen but just in case, your blawg has been short-listed for a 2010 blawggie award -
http://lawactually.blogspot.com/2010/08/let-voting-commence.html and http://accedas-ad-curiam.blogspot.com/2010/08/uk-blawg-awards-2010-voting.html

Barmaid said...

Thanks Michael - it's been a worrying time. I saw Bar-Os the day he was born and bought him as a foal, he's nearly 13 now and I'm very fond of him. He's been very spoilt of late and has been running rings around me; it seems that polo mints are his chosen 'cure' for everything:-)

I had a trip over to your blawg yesterday and noticed mine in the shortlist of blawggies - very flattered indeed:-)

AW said...

I'm sure Bar-Os will put on a great show for the Vets! My best wishes to him and your lovely self in what must be a difficult time.

The dentist was a lovely chap and my tooth is much better! And thanks re: NY - have my heart set on on going. Should hear back on Mon/Tues hopefully if interviews went well... just hope it works out :)

Barmaid said...

Oh my! When the vet visited Bar-Os shuffled out of his stable slower than a snail. The vet said 'oh dear'. I said 'just a minute, I don't think what you are seeing is a true representation of how he is'. I picked up the aerosol anti-septic (which he hates) and hey presto, Bar-Os was trotting in ever decreasing circles around the vet. Nevertheless, he is very poorly, but I think the vet was going to put him down on the spot!

And as for the NY thing - what will be, will be - if it's meant to be it will happen, if not, then there is obviously some other path you are meant to follow. Good luck and don't let the wotsits grind you down:-)