Saturday 23 October 2010

How to make myself attractive to chambers?

I thought that my pro bono efforts were ok, pretty good in fact. Two years in crime related pro bono, one in civil. But having failed to secure a pupillage this year, I must re-invent myself into something more attractive to chambers. To this end I'm going to work for a planning consultancy for a few weeks. They are a respected firm that have taken on some diverse projects over the years, some of them quite controversial. I know the MD from many years ago when he started the firm and sent him an email pleading for some help. Surprisingly he contacted me the following day with an offer (I think luck had something to play in this because they are about to lose a graduate member of staff, who is off on a sabatical).

It will be nice to have a change of scenery and routine for a while and I'm hoping to learn something of the nuts and bolts of planning. The MD is a poacher turned gamekeeper, having worked as a senior planning officer before setting up his own business many years ago. He's a nice chap too and has offered to drive me into work for the first day, so that I can suss out the best route. I just hope that my claims of making a fabulous cup of coffee weren't taken too seriously, or I could be out on my ear by the end of the first day.

So, if that lot fails, it's a case of investing in some industrial strength botox, industrial strength big (grab your flab and tuck it in) pants and a boob job.

Bar-Os had a visit from an equine physiotherapist yesterday. She started by massaging his neck and back - his response would rival that of Meg Ryan from THAT scene in When Harry Met Sally. However, his evident 'oh my God, that is sooooo good baby, do it summore' was rudely interupted when she started inflicting slaps. The startled look on his face set me off in a fit of giggles. S & M doesn't float my boy's boat it seems. No pain, no gain I guess?

Have a good weekend - ttfn.

8 comments:

white rabbit said...

Oh dear - I've missed the backstory. I take it Bar-O is a horse and not a boyfriend???

As regards chambers, I'm afraid I really don't know what to say except planning is certainly a good thing to have on CV. Boring but lucrative.

Consider yourself blogrolled :D

Michael said...

I did hear one seasoned old barrister once say he liked his female applicants like his Parmeasan cheese - strong smelling and shaved.

Don't know if that's any help? ;-)

Barmaid said...

WR. Bar-Os is indeed a horse, not a boyfriend (don't think Barman would approve of me having a boyfriend:-))

And as regards chambers, well I shall try a little harder and one day...

Michael - you're a star. Now I know where I went wrong. Off with the deo and moustache for the next pupillage interview. I assume you were referring to facial hair!!!?

Michael said...

hehe... couldn't possibly say. (I've a sneaking suspicion he *didn't* mean facial hair but I guess we'll never know) ;-)

Minx said...

Have you had a chat with Sarah Clover at the Barrister Bees Blog?She was a criminal barrister who reinvented herself as a planning lawyer - who knows, she may have some useful tips and wrinkles about that which is desirable on the putative planning pupil CV.

Never say no to a pair of Magic Knickers, they are very forgiving of even the most horrendous rolls of flab! One of my mates wears a pair religiously and she hasnt an ounce of tidal wave flobbyness about her, because they give her a really nice shape! ( soooo not fair - mine just damn up that which is seeking to reach my knees!!)

Barmaid said...

Will take a trip over to the recommended blog Minxy - ta for that.

Bose said...

Gave a couple of new ideas!

Sample cv

Tulsa Divorce Lawyers said...

BM glad to see you are mindful of the long term...building those credentials.