Wednesday 22 June 2011

PUPILLAGE & BINGO ARMS...

I did happen to notice (or rather feel), when waving to a friend last year, that there was a funny wobbly sensation on the underside of my arm. I'm not sure how or when it happened, or indeed why (when I'm not a day over 25 *cough*), but moi had developed that most serious of female illnesses - the bingo arms. They must have appeared overnight, as I'd never noticed them before. A camisoled glance in the mirror, coupled with the arms out front, shake em all about movement, confirmed the diagnosis - I was doomed!

Anyway, I was idly chatting to Barman the other day and rested my left hand on my right upper arm. Left hand was, no doubt, absent mindedly looking for somewhere soft and squishy to have a kip. Ha! Left hand was sadly disappointed, nay gutted, to be met by compact and bijou, but perfectly formed, little walnuts of bicep and tricep. "Look at that" said I to Barman, who couldn't stop laughing at the little bulge (well, I've been laughing at his little bulge for years, so fair's fair). Must be all the furniture lifting that's done the trick.

No pupillage interviews so far. Pity, as I quite fancied waving my arms in the air.




11 comments:

Michael said...

Wow... I'm super impressed with your svelte arms. :-)

Sounds like the furniture restoration business is going well.

Any latest masterpieces you can show us pics of? ;-)

Barmaid said...

Hi Michael, I too was impressed with the arms. Furniture is ok, but it's really hard work and I'm quite petite really, so I struggle a bit with all the lifting.

I've just got back from an auction and funnily enough, I've bought a court cupboard. It's really, really dark and frumpy at the minute, so maybe I'll get some before and after pics of this one. If it doesn't sell, I can always play at being a barrister at home, with the cupboard as my stage prop:-)

Anonymous said...

I've always fancied buying furniture at auction myself. Do the nice men at the auction house help you take your wins to the car/van or does Barman help you out?

Barmaid said...

Hello Anon,

I'm afraid 'nice men' and 'auctions' do not go hand in hand! People will stand and watch you struggle I'm afraid.

Each auction house is different, but mostly you have to load your own goods. Barman is usually at work and doesn't like the auctions anyway, so I tend to pop along by myself. I have to lift them when I'm working on them, so loading is no different, I just take my time.

simply wondered said...

fingers still crossed for you for pupillage.

Barmaid said...

Ah, bless ya SW:-) Might take a bit more than finger crossing by the looks of things. But, ya never know. In the meantime, more bloody Ercol to paint:-)

DJ Ollie said...

good to hear from you Barmaid...i think i need to get into a job that gets me all toned, cause my poor attendance at the gym certainly isnt helping!

Michael said...

Oh Lord... don't mention Ercol to me. I hate that stuff - it reminded me of a post I made on Law Actually where i mentioned I was 'doing up' an Ercol coffee table belong to my GF's parents.

Somebody had taken it in their head to half stain it and it was a bit battered and extremely darkened after being left in a conservatory for years.

It came out very well considering but I still don't like Ercol style furniture.

I'll have to dig out some pics of me doing it up... I didn't put any on my post, just a snap of a new fruit bowl I turned when I was at my parents' in Cornwall. I don't think I've done any since. :-( Still, now we've moved, maybe I should get myself a workshop set up in the garden & buy myself a new lathe? ;-)

http://lawactually.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-month-new-house-new-fruit-bowl.html

Tulsa Divorce Lawyers said...

Bingo arms??? I'm loving it!!! :)

Oklahoma City Divorce Attorneys said...

Pilates! Pilates! Pilates!

Oklahoma City Cleaning Service said...

Barmaid it sounds like you should hire some muscles to help you lug that furniture around. Of course by doing so, you won't be exercising your arms as much but the scenery should be pleasing to you :)