Wednesday 9 July 2008

Single parent family


I've acquired lodgers.

The photo isn't very clear, but if you look closely you will see a male blackbird and his baby, near to the 'trunk' of the shrub.

I first saw Daddy blackbird, when he sat on my windowsill looking straight at me through the open window, less than 2ft away. He is a mess, feathers all over the place, thin and disheveled. Being a hard nosed, legal type, I immediately got him some food and took it outside, only to notice baby on the floor hopping around demanding to be fed. Daddy blackbird began stuffing food down baby's throat, before grabbing the odd morsel for himself. I've no idea what's happened to the mother, but she's not around, probably victim to one of the many cats that I've noticed stalking around the garden. Baby is very fat, but child rearing has definitely taken its toll on Dad.

Often, when we are in the garden, he appears and comes so close that you could probably reach out and touch him, it's amazing that he seems to know where to get help.

I've not seen them today and I suspect that he may have taken his affections elsewhere. My neighbour has bought them some special food (worms!) and I've a feeling that he's gone to her because her culinary delights are so much nicer than mine. Seems that the way to a mans heart is through his stomach.

I've had a look at my land law notes and I'm fairly sure that 'the lodgers' have no legal claim to any beneficial interest in my (modest) estate, however a defamation action may follow, I did call him thin and disheveled and he is now threatening me with breach of confidence as well! - it seems I've invaded his privacy by publishing a photo of him and he's certain that the HRA protects him. I did say to him that the HRA only applies to humans, but he mysteriously said "remember Regina v Ojibway, anything is possible in law".

4 comments:

Swiss Tony said...

I notice that the photo didn't have the baby birds face pixelated to prevent identification. You may be in bigger doo doo than you think!

But did they trespass?

Do you have an extradition treaty with your neighbour?

Is there a claim against your neighbour for having a nuisance on their land?

Can it all wait until we qualify?

Swizz

ps I have a whole family of sparrows living in the cavity wall of my house. Little bleeders wake up too early for my liking. What can I do?

Barmaid said...

I think it will have to wait until we qualify.
Do you think we could stretch to aggravated trespass? He was looking at me through the window and there were two of them, and they did demand food.

As for your problem, don't do anything hasty, you could end up doing bird. Perhaps a phone call to Bill Oddie? He won't do anything useful, but his side kick does smile a lot and this alone would make you feel so much better.

Swiss Tony said...

Barmaid, I have wired their nest up to the mains. Just wait until 5.00am tomorrow morning. Talk about the dawn chorus.

I went down to the local garden centre to buy a model of an owl to put on the roof to scare them off, but all they had was a penguin.

If that doesn't work, 240 volts will do the trick.

I don't like the sound of your two. Did they leave fingerprints on the window sill? Could you identify them or do a photofit for the police?

Bill Oddie's side kick as far as I remember was Grahame Gardner. They used to be sooo funny 30 years ago! Now he is just a prize twit.

Swizz

Barmaid said...

Kate Humble is the more recent partner to Bill Oddie.

Of course, I'm far too young to remember "Goodies -goody goody gum gums".

Not sure the penguin is gonna work, nothing in law is ever black and white. And, of course by the time you've read the 'working safely at heights document', completed both a risk assessment and method statement (before attempting to get on the roof), the sparrows will have grown up and flown the nest.

On a more positive note, you will be the envy of the neighbourhood, a penguin on a roof will look stunning and will match very well with the xmas lights still there from your Millennium extravaganza.