Thursday 27 November 2008

'J' is for juxtapose

Juxtapose -vb- to place close together or side by side.

Juxtaposition was a favourite word of mine during LLB, I used it when trying to evade the answer to a question that I didn't quite know the answer to, eg. 'It is interesting to note the juxtaposition of case law in relation to the statutory provisions contained within the Law of Property Act 1925...'.

My war with both the White Book and Blackstone's continues and I wonder how on earth I'll remember anything at exam time? My Legal Research mock paper is hidden out of view, it really is about the worst piece of work I've put my name to so far, but I haven't had time to mess with it so I'm resigned to a fail. The Opinion Writing homework is only marginally better, but I think that given time, my skills in this subject will improve and although I was dreading it, I quite enjoyed the exercise once I got started.

No Advocacy this weekend, just a review of what we have done so far. My favourite subject to date is Advocacy, so I'm disappointed that there isn't another new exercise to perform this weekend. I enjoy Conference too and have two exercises to do this weekend, one as a defence barrister, one as a defendant.


By the looks of things the mountains of homework continues up to Christmas, with loads of reading and preparation to do and also a mock Opinion to prepare. No rest for the wicked it seems.




11 comments:

Swiss Tony said...

BM, take heart, once Christmas is out of the way you can be sure that your reading list will be practically non existent.

The simple reason being that there just cannot be anything left to read that you haven't done yet.

I have asked for the Beano Annual for Christmas, just so that I have something to read. Anything.

Swizz

Security word is Femotize. Surely that is a word you could use somewhere?

Barmaid said...

Femotize, sounds like a description for a transvestite perfume -"just one little squirt of Femotize and you, yes you Derek the lorry driver will feel like a woman".
Ay, we could be onto something here Swizz, shall we go on Dragon's Den and see if they'll invest in our 'invention'. If they say no we'll just squirt Peter Jones and Duncan Bannatyne with it on the way out:-)

Swiss Tony said...

BM, two pints of lager and I feel like a woman!

I think Dragons Den would be good training for you. If you can them to believe in Femotize you could convince a judge of anything.

Next word is Diesting. I might go on a diesting after Xmas. No, I think I will leave the word for the day to you. You are better at it than me.

swizz

Barmaid said...

Really Swizz, I'm afraid you'll have to do better than 2 pints of lager if you seriously want a career at the Bar, just what have you been doing at your Inn? Don't tell me you've been hanging around in the library reading books and having a nice cup of tea afterwards *tut*, should be ashamed of yourself.

Swiss Tony said...

BM, now you must be confusing me with BB. He hangs around the library sniffing books.

I am usually to be found in a lap dancing club accessing Westlaw on my mobile with a pint in the other hand.

Next word - aterbit. I aterbit of cake. See, now I think I can do this word thing

Swizz

Lawboy said...

It's not ALL bad! Soon you'll be doing this stuff for real with even stricter deadlines. The fun! x

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

I have become an enormous fan of Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary Word of the Day - and to days word is Fidelity, meaning, and I quote,
'APPROVING when you copy the detail and quality of an original, such as a picture, sound or story exactly' - thats essentially what an opinion is, no? it has a certain structure a formulaeic way of going about a problem which, if you stick to it, means that you cant really go wrong - and I dont believe you will go wrong, not for a minute! :)
So dont be daunted by the steep learning curve, embrace it as a challenge!
Right, Im off to have a drop of Rivena (word verification for this post) in a nice tall glass with some ice ! :)

Poppy said...

I always thought it was better to hand in something you knew was shit and have that confirmed by your tutor, rather than to think something is very good and then be told it is total rubbish...

The nice thing about bizzare BVC marking system is that you may well get an Outstanding for your legal research, without even trying! Even after a year I couldn't predict my grade with any certainty whatsoever...

LL

I'm off to have a fruity affair with my "mister"... my verification word...

Barmaid said...

LL. My Legal Research was so very bad that there is no way that it will pass. However, I realised that I wouldn't have time to re-do it so just accepted it was rubbish. It doesn't go towards my final grade, so no harm done.

barboy said...

I am beginning to think that legal research is nothing to do with research. It is, rather, a way of encouraging students to improve their debating skills. No, no, my answer was even more shit than yours because ...

Barmaid said...

I promise to try harder on the Opinion though... I just don't see the point in the way we have to do the LR, so I'm a conscientious objector.