Thursday 9 April 2009

W is for wonted

Wonted - adj - accustomed, usual.

This week I have been busy with my wonted job, so have been forced to neglect pursuance of my wanted job. In other words, work has gotten in the way of studying and OLPAS applications (not all bad then:-)).

Another study weekend has been and gone and with just 2 more study weekends remaining until Summer break, I'm counting down the weeks until my first year ends. There was a tangible change in atmosphere this last weekend at 'school', with everyone appearing much more amenable and relaxed. Not much was said about the exam results and it appears that everyone wanted to keep their grades to themselves (or perhaps I am considered the class thicko and no-one liked to ask)? I think just about everyone in my group did ok, but one student didn't show up all weekend and I'm thinking that maybe she has called it a day.

It seems that my group are bucking the trend in that we seem to all get along really well together, this is all the more surprising given that you couldn't have planned a more diverse combination of characters. Maybe this diversity is the secret to 'group harmony', ie. because we are all so different in terms of age, background, profession etc., we just accept each others differences and bump along regardless. It appears that some of the other groups aren't quite so together and tales of fierce arguments and backstabbing antics are starting to emerge. I thank my lucky stars that I am not in one of the warring groups as I cannot imagine anything more depressing than having to face a weekend of pointless bitching and quarrelling.

The studying is less intensive now that Legal Research, Civil Litigation and Criminal Litigation have been put to bed (although we do pick up Civil and Criminal again next year). We have our Conference exam at the beginning of May, so this weekend I intend to make some preparatory notes on that and to also have a look at the Advocacy, which I seem to think is an application for an interim injunction. Drafting is proving to be a tricky subject to grasp, not least because my provider has their own preferred method of doing things, which doesn't correspond with the ICSL drafting manual. Opinion writing I enjoy, but it is a time consuming module that requires patience, planning and plenty of research.

My last Conference session before the exam raised a few problems and although I did well in the advice and legal analysis sections, my questioning wasn't thorough enough, so I need to be more diligent in that area. My mock Advocacy was decidedly average, but I can see where I need to improve and hopefully plenty of practice will help me to be more sassy. I'm having difficulty in putting together a decent skeleton argument and this is causing me to lose precious marks, but skellies just don't come easy to me and I can't quite figure out why I'm struggling so much with them, maybe I try too hard and lose the natural flow of the argument?

The dates for next years study weekends have been released and it looks to be an intense year particularly around Springtime when there are 3 study weekends very close together, so plenty more burning of the midnight oil to come and of course plenty more assessments, but not to worry about that for the moment.

I hope everyone has a nice Easter and by way of a subtle hint, I like the eggs with Flakes, Creme Eggs, Buttons...


8 comments:

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

I am greatly relieved to see that your small study group rubs along nicely together, rather than degenerating into a nest of vipers and sycophants; it is most wearing on the psyche to have to deal with quarralsome individuals on a course as stressful as the BVC, and detracts tremendously from its enjoyment ( if enjoy is the word!)

I found that for conferencing I needed to be uber organised in my paperwork and really precise with questioning because its too easy to go off on a tangent ( and the actor/client will most certainly let you given half the chance) but I think you will be fine.

Skellys come with practice; its hard to be short and snappy because there is always the concern that something important will be left out - but then, thats where oral argument comes in! Just think the Skeleton is quite literally the bare bones and the advocacy the flesh - this worked for me, I must say.

Have a lovely Easter's repose - I'd send you a ( picture of an) Easter Egg if you were on FB but because you aren't you will just have to imagine a 6 foot Lindt Bunny called George.

Barmaid said...

I'm amazed my group all get along! There are one or two who push the boundaries with regards to the cribbing of homework, but it seems that they have taken the subtle hints and don't push it too much anymore.

Conference I'm capable of doing quite well in, and as you say, it's a matter of keeping focused. Skellies, well that's another matter and I've yet to get one right, but with only one more go before the exam, I've got to pull my socks up and get the gist of em (45% of our advocacy mark is on the skeleton content and structure, so it's vital I get it right(ish)).

Oh well, back to my Conference plan and endless cups of coffee.

Nice Easter to you too:-)

Anonymous said...

Maid

How on EARTH have you managed to fill out some of your portal apps already? It has taken me all day to do three, and I have not yet submitted them as they are, quite frankly, crap. ARGH.

Having not gone on Easter hols for the first time in years due to the amount of work that these apps, finishing BVC and proper job is chucking at me at the moment I am going spare.

AND after spending AGES on one of the apps (a fourth :( ) for one of my favoured chambers aka Dream Set Extrodinaire, it would appear to have dissapeared from the list of offered skivvyships... Double ARGH.

LG

Barmaid said...

You're one up on me LG, I've only managed 2 OLPAS apps so far (and 2 non-olpas). Haven't ventured near the portal this weekend, can't face it at the moment.

I thought my applications looked crap too, neh mind eh:-)

Didn't realise you were still doing BVC, I thought you were a full-timer who'd finished. Would love to hear that year 2 is easier, but who am I kidding! Oh well, you are almost home and dry, just a few more weeks to go.

Anonymous said...

If its any help its been far less intense this year (although each provider is different) but its really cranked up for the options and I am worried about a couple of my results to come, so have to get my last few marks ramped up to keep a VC!!

barboy said...

Legallyginge, could you pm me please ?

Anonymous said...

BB

I don't know how to do that and I'd rather not - sorry.

barboy said...

OK, no problem.