Sunday 16 May 2010

7 days and counting

I can't quite believe it. Just one more week and that's it! I have a busy week ahead of me preparing for the Advanced Criminal Litigation exam.

There is a pot of paint at the ready for next week, when I might just get around to painting the front door, which was sanded down last Autumn, but somehow never got finished. I hope that front doors don't have feelings, as every time I look at it I mutter "bloody mess". I'm sure if front door could speak, it would utter something quite similar in return:-)

There's also a stack of folders in the corner of the dining room that need sorting out - BVC makes for a lot of paperwork. I think a bigger bookcase is required.

Details for Call arrived a few days ago, so I have to sort out gown hire etc. I must also get around to doing some more dining!

I took Bar-Os out for a ride today. When I brought him in from the paddock he had a big insect bite on his belly, so I couldn't put the saddle on him because the girth would have rubbed against the bite. I had to ride bareback and by the time I'd finished, my legs ached so much that I struggled to dismount. I think the Spring grass has expanded his waistline a tad! Either that or I'm getting old!

Good luck to everyone on their final push towards the finishing line. I think we all deserve a pat on the back, or perhaps some new shoes.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck for the final push!

Beth said...

You can do it! I'm one week away from the half-time point and looking forward to having my summer evenings to myself. Just one exam left for this year!

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

The finishing line is in sight!! (GAWD, where on EARTH has the time gone?? seems like only yesterday you were starting the dratted thing!!) All the very best to you for the last big push, I have no doubt whatsoever that you will triumph, and with considerable panache!
Its a strange feeling, finishing; I was at quite a loss despite the thesis monster, because its a different way of looking at the law, and even ALMOST missed my BVC group, but then call and the silly season rolls around, and after that,well, theres the adventure of the great 'what happens next' unknown - that, and painting sanded doors of course.

As a fan of advanced criminal lit, have you been watching the short series on ITV on Wormwood Scrubs? Absolutely fascinating insight into the end of the process, from both the point of view of the prison guards and the prisoners themselves.

Barmaid said...

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Good luck Anon and Beth.

Know what you mean Minxy! It's a bit frightening tbh and I got a bit upset about the post BVC thing yesterday.

Alas I haven't watched any telly of late - do we have a new PM yet:-)

As for the crime thing, let's just say that having had a torrid affair with Mr Crim for several years, things have somewhat run their course and I'm now looking to a more civilised relationship. Mr Crim, it seems, cannot keep me in the lifestyle that I'm accustomed to (£1.17p above the poverty line), so I'm turning my back on him. No doubt we will bump into one another from time to time, but...

Minx said...

Personally, I've never understood the attraction of Mr Crim; perhaps I am an old harridian and too intolerant of his errant and erratic ways, given that he promises much ( workload) and delivers little ( wonga) - but then Mr Human Rights would seem now to be on his last legs ( if the new government has anything to do with it) and Mr Public International Law is a bit confused, though remains interesting in places.
O Dear....!!!!

Barmaid said...

Well Minxy, how wise you are to steer clear of Mr Crim.

simply wondered said...

as one so far ahead of you in the field of legal education, please feel free to ask me about the door that i painted this very week!
yrs knowledgably, sw

Barmaid said...

SW - well seeing as you offered and as I can't seem to find owt in the Bar Code of Conduct that rules against it:

Did you use an undercoat?

:-)

simply wondered said...

i am anal about prepping surfaces... sometimes use a basic white undercoat under something like water-based satinwood; sometimes too lazy to do so but then find myself putting on 2 coats of the satinwood anyway. the ratio is clear.

i am lazy re a knotting solution but presume that isn't an issue for you unless you are painting over pine. i'd use one if poss.

oh yes ma'am, i am weird.

Barmaid said...

I have plumped for a non-drip gloss. Tin says no undercoat required, but I'm not convinced. Colour is nice - 'amazon', a sort of light smokey blue/green. Will make a change from the 'pillar box red' that was more like a rusty red?

I suppose door is softwood, but not a knotty pine, if that makes sense.

AW said...

Goodluck BM! x

simply wondered said...

i don't think i have heard of non-drip gloss since the 80s... i hope it's water-based. much easier all round.