Tuesday 4 May 2010

The Finishing Line(ish)

I'm on the last lot of SGS homework for BVC and it's taking ages. I should be far further on, but my brain has slowed down, somewhat prematurely, to a snail's pace.

This coming weekend is the last BVC study weekend, but I shall have to go back to 'school' towards the end of May for the Options exams. I'm hoping that my work rate speeds up a little for the last fortnight otherwise I shall be struggling.

I have mixed feelings about finishing BVC. On the one hand I'm more than ready for a break from study, on the other, I shall miss the friends that I've made during BVC and the camaraderie that exists within my group. Although I have mentioned this before, I cannot stress how lucky I've been to be part of a nice group. Various tutors along the way have said how nice my group was, but I took it all with a pinch of salt until witnessing at first hand the bitchiness and childish antics of some other groups. I don't suppose such behaviour has much effect on the written skills performance of a student, since most of it is completed away from class, but I'm almost certain that the effect on the oral skills could be quite dramatic. It's not that myself (and my group) haven't laughed at the faux pas of others, but the laughter is shared and open and without malice.

On a similar note, I had expected a good many of the barristers and judges that I have met during extra curricular activities to live up to the steriotypical Bar persona of arrogance and coldness. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sure, quite a few of the barristers have chips on their shoulders, but that goes with the territory, and it is all very much tongue in cheek. Once the ice has been quickly broken, I have been met with kindness, patience, understanding and warmth.

Post BVC, I have a few irons in the fire that may come to something, or may not. Time will tell? For now I want to complete my studies and catch up on some work and play (and decorating!). A proper Summer would be nice, with that big yellow thing in the sky smiling down, but maybe that's asking for too much. Oh, and I'd also like a pupillage please.

Not too much too ask, is it? :-)

3 comments:

simply wondered said...

barristers and judges i have met personally and professionally have seemed a nice enough bunch; some relatively senior judges (just cjs mainly) being very kind and helpful.

there is one judge in particular at gee st who is a bit of an arse (and if anyone knows gee st - yes, that one!) but most others appear to take great pains to be fair and treat people with courtesy and respect. al rather a pleasant surprise when i was expecting something else.

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

Speaking as one familiar with the ravages of the part time BVC, this very last part is like the last 100 Yards of the marathon; its hard to whip up either focus or enthusiasm after what seems like one enormous slog, but I am confident that you will do both, with nobs on and that you will prevail.
I'm sooo glad to see that you were part of a wonderful group; the bitchiness and childish antics that you've witnessed in others was de rigeur, unfortunately, not merely for my own group but for my entire cohort, an attitude that baffles me to this day; what is to be had from such nonsense? an element of Schaudenfreude, perhaps? Whats the point when none of us have pupillage?! They all seem a marked contrast to actual practitioners, who have also been, in my limited experience, kind and helpful ( if a tad eccentric, at times)
I do hope you get eveything you wish for, this year - a wonderful summer capped off by call, theraputic decoration and, importantly, pupillage.

Barmaid said...

SW - yes, friendliness is a bit of a turn up for the books. Not what I'd expected.

Minxy - I have little enthusiasm, but nevertheless have nose to grindstone. And yes, there are some eccentric characters at the Bar, it wouldn't be the same without them:-) Not sure the decorating will be therapeutic, it's not a favourite of mine, but it is an overdue chore that cannot be ignored for much longer. Last time I did some decorating I spent ages choosing complimentary cream hues - friend said 'oh you went for magnolia then?'