Tuesday 21 September 2010

Not a wheelie bin, not a cat, but nearly

I am an eternal optimist and still have a scout around the paddock in the hope that Bar-Os has managed to right himself and is back to normal in the bum department. I do find the odd dropping or two and thought I'd spotted one in the field shelter. As I went with bucket and trowel to scoop up said dropping, I was somewhat startled by the fact that it moved! Upon closer inspection, said dropping was in fact a rather large hedgehog. As it was time to take Bar-Os home for the evening, I left the hedgehog where I'd found him, knowing that Bar-Os wouldn't accidentally tread on him.

The next day I found the same large hedgehog upside down in the hay partition of the field shelter and told Barman that it must have been poorly and had obviously crawled into the field shelter to die. Barman set about digging a hole in the paddock to bury the poor thing. He scooped up the corpse and put it next to the place where he was digging. Having now dug a decent sized, deep hole in which to place the hedgehog, Barman scooped the hedgehog onto the shovel, ready for the burial. Hedgehog wriggled his toes!

It would appear that the hedgehog had tried to climb onto a bale of hay, fell over backwards, got stuck and played dead when it heard us coming.

Nearly!

11 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

hehe... he sounds a shrewd one - playing dead! But I notice you didn't mention what happened next. Did Barman broadside him with the head of the shovel? :p

Word verification is 'diggla' :-0

simply wondered said...

your horse is now crapping hedgehogs?!? he's so not well.

Barmaid said...

These word verifications do seem determined to lower the tone Michael. It's nothing to do with me, honest.

SW - perhaps that's why Bar-Os is so reluctant to crap?

Swiss Tony said...

Good point SW. I did read in the notes Barboy had made in a lecture on Hearsay, that if you are going to crap a hedgehog make sure it goes out head first. Goodness knows what Barboy was thinking at the time, but he is a strange one. No wonder he is close to tears most of the time.

BM, did you check with the Hedgehog whether he knew poor Minxy? Could have been a friend of hers.

Swiss

Word verification is 'BB is a wuzz'

Android said...

OMG!!

Although... I wouldn't personally touch a hedgehog. I read that they're worse than rats!

Barmaid said...

Swizz - I'm not aware that Mr Hedgehog had a Welsh accent, sounded more Northern to me, but then Minxy does get about a bit (so I'm told);-)

Andro - I wouldn't say that hedgehogs are worse than rats, but they are crawling in fleas. And contrary to popular belief, the fleas do quite like a nibble on human flesh:-(

Android said...

I didn't know THAT!! :O

Minx said...

Ahhhh, but what you might or indeed might not know is that if you rid a hedgehog of all his or her fleas, he or she will exhibit withdrawal symptoms!!
( Dont ask how I know this, it is, speaking as a hedgehog, a sore point, pardon the pun)

Barmaid said...

Minxy - they are indeed alive with fleas. I know this because I've had to rescue one or two hedgehogs off the road in my time and have been somewhat bitten to bits by migrating fleas.

tulsa divorce attorneys said...

BM - I'm glad to hear Bar-O's is pooping healthily again :)