Friday 16 January 2009

O is for Ostler

Ostler - n - a stableman, esp. one at an inn.

This morning, my duties as an Ostler took preference over getting anything remotely difficult or academic instigated.

Yup, mucking out Bar-Os was a useful evasion of doing the dreaded Legal Research, but alas, I must now plod on and try to get top-side of the tomes.

It is a little milder here today and the birds and squirrels are making the most of it and are keeping me amused. We have a moorhen who visits and is convinced that if he stands on top of the shed roof, he will somehow be able to shimmy down and reach the bird feeder tube, that is hanging on the side. Each time he tries to land on the bird feeder, he misses and finishes up in an undignified heap on the floor.

One of the squirrels thinks that he is a 'chad' and peeps over the fence at me whilst I'm typing, with just his cheeky face and paws showing. There are two robins having a territorial war near to Bar-Os' stable, rich pickings for birdies around there, lots of bits of cereal and a barrow full of horse muck, a veritable feast, well worth fighting over. The bird population has increased this last year or two, probably due to an overgrown Victorian walled garden that backs onto our garden, perfect sanctuary for wildlife. We have great crested newts too, courtesy of a natural pond that is just a stone's throw from our house. I dread to think what will happen to the little wildlife haven because the estate has recently been sold to a wealthy American who seems to ignore each and every planning rule going. I asked the local authority to put Tree Preservation Orders in place, but they refused and acres of ancient woodland have been felled. There are some very old varieties of fruit trees in the walled garden, including a mulberry tree, a medlar tree and some lovely old fashioned apple trees. I have a feeling that their days are numbered and that it will all be bulldozed once the arrogant oligarch gets around to 'renovating' this area.


Oh well, must get on with my work...






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bm,

With all that natural wonderfulness going on outside your window, I'm not surprised you get sidetracked from legal work = especially since underaking legal research is like eating cardboard with the general experience not entirely dissimilar to sandpapering a dry ducks backside. Keep battling with it though - it will be sooo worth it in the end, and you will be able to look back at it on call night and smile! :)
I feel your pain with respect to the destruction of natural habitats too -its recently happened where I live; a copse of wonderful old oak sycamore and elm were felled completely against preservation orders by a bunch of builders cowboys who have moved into some very big houses and whose wives have complained about the autumn leaves soiling their perfect lawns.
Some people are just pants, arent they?!?!?

Swiss Tony said...

LM, have you actually sandpapered a dry ducks backside? Was that another part of BPP's weird teaching system?

BM is sounding far too much like Alan Titchmarsh, and I can only hope that in real life she is more like Charlie Dimmock.

Swizz

Barmaid said...

Charlie Dimmock, there's a blast from the past. But alas Swizz being a rural country bumpkin, I have a face like a farmer's arse:-), but I am told that it would be perfect for the radio.

Anonymous said...

A HAH!! I was not taught by BPP!!
( I reserve comment as to the actual sandpapering of a dry ducks backside......)

Swiss Tony said...

BM, I thought it was Charlie Dimwit, but taking a leaf from your book on research and stuff I googled it to get the name right. Apparantly, she is a 34B and thinks that bra's are too restrictive.

Minxy, no wonder you get so enthusiastic about things if you didn't go to BPP. Life would lose all appeal to me if I went there. Funny fate made me chose the provider of choice over BPP just because it meant no changing on the underground. Some sweaty bloke 100 years ago working on the tube that decided to dig his tunnel direct to CofL would have had no idea what a massive favour he did to me.

Looking on the 1912 census I discovered that it was Lord Denning's granddad. What a funny world.

My granddad was a lumberjack and felled trees across most of the country, just for kicks and to make squirrels homeless. He was such a hoot.

Anonymous said...

Swiss,

You knew Lord Dennings GRANDAD?! Crikey! You've pickled really well!!!

Barmaid said...

Ah yes, the 1912 census, a must have for every des res coffee table.

LM, between you and me, I do wonder occasionally if Swizz tells fibs, but he's a member of a distinguished Inn (allegedly) and an aspirant barrister, so I guess I'm just a cynic...