Friday 19 February 2010

What are you doing Monday?

The results for the civil and criminal MCT exam have been delayed, they are released next Monday. I'm concerned about the civil; we shall see.

The options papers have been given out and there is quite a bit of work to do in time for the next study weekend. In relation to the Advanced Criminal Litigation, the tutorial looks to be mostly oral skills based, with a conference, a bail application, first appearance in the magistrates court and finally, endorsing the brief. I had rather hoped that endorsing a brief meant signing my name on George Clooney's underpants, but apparently it doesn't and instead it's something a bit boring, but necessary.

We have been given the 1 page handout for the Negotiation exam, which is a basic list of the areas of law that the negotiation will entail. I'm dreading the exam. With just 2 hours to read the papers and to prepare a negotiation plan, it will be a tall order, as I'm not the quickest worker by any stretch.

I have also received the papers for the second Advocacy exam which is examination-in-chief. We have to prepare for 2 witnesses, but will only examine 1. There will be some last minute instructions and we are given 30 minutes to fathom out how those instructions alter the case and the subsequent line of questioning.

Just for a change, we had snow AGAIN last night and it looks as though the weather is going to be really cold again next week; minus 6 predicted for Tuesday night:-(

Oh, and I have just sent off my application for call. I feel quite excited about it all and just hope that I don't mess up the final load of exams.


12 comments:

Android said...

Best of luck for Monday, but I'm sure you don't need it! :)

My advocacy assessment was in the same format as you described. It wasn't too bad from what I remember. Will you get actors for the witnesses?

Barmaid said...

Hi Andro - yes the witnesses are actors. I think there will be lots of memory refreshing documents, exhibits and a bit of inadmissible evidence. During my mock, the actors had been told to try and blurt out the inadmissible stuff, so I expect that it will be the same this time.

Good to see that your job is keeping you on your toes - enjoy:-)

As for Monday, I'm trying not to think about it:-(

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow BM.

I lay low with comments this weather due to an "outing" but just wanted to say this.

LG

Barmaid said...

Ginge, how lovely to hear from you:-)

Thanks for the good wishes, I dread a re-take, all that revision!

So, more to the point, how the devil are you?

simply wondered said...

ah yes - blurting out. my actor, having been lead around the danger area with a 'don't tell us about that; please confine yourself to this', promptly said 'THAT!!!!' or at least was just starting to do so when i said 'thank you' so utterly viciously that he stopped altogether. no idea whether i gained or lost marks for that but it was fun.
enjoy.

Barmaid said...

Me too SW (during mock) - led beautifully away from the inadmissible bit -"telling the court only what YOU know and what YOU have witnessed YOURSELF" - he still tried to blurt it out - seem to think I just said "NO" very loudly at that point:-)

Best bit was the ID. In his W/S, witness stated he recognised the dog immediately as that of his neighbours. During XIC I did a cracking bit of piggy backing - "So Mr Smith, as the dog was running towards you snarling and barking, did you recognise the dog?" - witness "NO".
Me "as the dog got CLOSER to you, did you then recognise the dog?"
Witness "No"
Me "as the dog was jumping up at your face, did you then recognise the dog?"
Witness "Yes"
Me (at this point through gritted teeth)"whose dog was it?"

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I can't believe it, now the MCT results aren't out until Thursday! I just wanna be put out of my misery!

Barmaid said...

Oh, another delay - I too would prefer to know, I hate waiting for results, it gives me the jitters.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you too! Waiting is horrible.

barboy said...

Maid, the delay is because they are still fretting over how to grade you at 110% in civil lit. In a Spinal Tap meets Bar Skool moment, that Maid, she's so good she goes up to eleven.

Barmaid said...

BB - I wish! On a good day my civil lit reaches no further than average.

The waiting is unpleasant, much worse than the exam itself. I suppose I ought to be used to it by now, but alas I do worry more after exams are over and have the unhealthy tendancy of going over things in my mind.

Swiss Tony said...

BM, stop going over things in your mind, and hot foot it over the BPP and go over a few things on Hercules, preferable the assessments officer. That will get your results out.

Swizz