Wednesday 25 June 2008

Swooshing Gowns

I finished my law degree last Autumn, but graduation ceremonies weren't until this Spring. Much to my disappointment (not), the ceremony was to take place at a cathedral some 100 miles away from where I live, so I decided not to bother graduating 'proper', but just to make do with receiving my bit of paper in the post. However, Barman and various other allies of his had other ideas, and it was with much bullying and cajoling that I eventually agreed to attend the graduation 'proper'.


The day came and the weather was beautiful. Now, you may be thinking that this would have cheered me up, but oh no, it made me even more annoyed that I'd got to get dressed up, put on some slap (renovating plaster) and trundle my way across country to prance around in a glorified smock, I'd much rather have spent a few hours in the garden pretending to weed the borders.


I'd ordered my graduation gown online, so when we got there I went to the robing tent to get kitted up and I kid you not, there was a 'Mr Ben' moment when that gown went on - Barmaid was resplendent, sophisticated and nothing short of a pure genius and what's more, the gown just went to prove it. Barman was smiling (well ok, laughing) as Barmaid sashayed out of the tent, a sight to behold in sacred robes of academia. Tell you what though, my swooshing was nothing compared to the hundreds of men prancing around the cathedral grounds, they clearly enjoyed the feeling of soft, ruched, fabric falling against their ankles (yes, they'd all lied about their height, hence the gowns were 6 inches too long on them), and what's more they'd mastered the hip swivelling to perfection - boy, did those gowns swoosh!


Two (or so) glasses of champagne later, Barmaid proudly, but rather unsteadily walked across the stage to receive her degree 'proper' and in hindsight wouldn't have missed it for the world.


Did she swoosh? - you bet ya she did!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you went to your Grad, BM- after all the hard work the sleepless nights, and doubtlessly, the tears you absooutely deserve the applause and admiration that goes with it all.
Better get used to swooshing, when you become a barrister there'll be a hell of a lot of that!! :)

Congratulations!!! ( *thunderous applause*)

Barmaid said...

Oh yes, swooshing is really good, should be made part of the BVC syllabus - could have inter-Inn swooshing competitions.

Hope your pupillage interview went well - fingers crossed!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, when you do your dinners you have to wear a gown, so I'd guess swooshing is already part of the BVC Syllabus!! :))

Swiss Tony said...

Blimey Minxy, do I really have to wear a gown when I eat my dinner? I normally eat a sandwich while working, but swooshing would at least keep the crumbs out of the keyboard!

Barmaid, is that the Cathedral right behind you in the photo? They don't make cathedrals like they used to!

Swizz

Barmaid said...

Yes, it's the new Ikea version of cathedral, Barmaid thought it was posh, but now you've put doubts in her head.

Anyway, is that you Swizz, in the pic, reversing into me? You'll do anything to rain on my parade. Got an even better pic that proves Barmaid's momentous occasion actually made children fly, if you ask nicely, I might just show it to you.

Swiss Tony said...

Barmaid, I am afraid that it was me. I wasn't trying to run you down though, honest.

I was doing my daily job, delivering Pizzas, and the order said '1 large peperroni to the cathedral'

When I got there I was sure it was the wrong place because it looked like Hogwarts. And I saw the children flying too, so that confirmed it. The Cathedral didn't look right to me either.

I was in the car, desperately trying to swing the car round and get back to normal life.

I did notice some posh girl swooshing in the rear view mirror, but I was more worried about being turned into a frog or something.

Swizz

Anonymous said...

My Dear Swizz,

Yup you have to wear a gown when having dinner; its an odd sleeveless contraption that makes those bar students assembled for dinner look like something out of Harry Potter, but its great good fun!
(Apologies, Maid, for hijacking your thread!!)