Monday 9 February 2009

P is for pertinacious

Pertinacious - adj - doggedly resolute in purpose or belief; unyielding. Stubbornly persistent.



I have been pertinaciously trying to cobble together a half decent skeleton argument for this month's advocacy, but it's a slow old job. There is a glut of evidence to pick holes in, which makes my task quite difficult as it's just a ten minute submission of no case to answer. We have 4 offences to go through, identification issues, planted evidence and other such criminal delights. *Tut*, to think, Britain's finest constabulary would do such things, well I never.



Having read through last month's Advocacy SGS, tutor comments, I need to be a little more subtle in getting my argument across. Shame, I was rather hoping that "it's plain to see that the coppers are bent buggers" would just about nail it, but it seems that provider's tastes require a more delicate approach to such issues.



Galbraith and Turnbull are being perused in detail and there are a couple of more recent Court of Appeal cases that will help me to free this man from the injustices ruthlessly foisted upon him by P.C.'s in search of an unfair cop *cough*.



Once this lot of homework is finished, I just have to revise for the MCT exam at the end of this month. We have 40 questions each on Civil Litigation and Criminal Litigation, with 3 hours to complete. The mock questions are quite tricky and a few had me stumped, particularly the ones that catch you out with the 'must' and 'may' transposed. Lesson 1 to me, READ THE QUESTION PROPERLY before answering it, I must have messed up 6 or 7 answers because I hadn't read the question properly, which in 'real money' could have meant not far off 10% worth of marks lost by my carelessness. Seems from the MCT mock questions, provider is in love with the Bail Act, unfortunately I'm not quite so amoured and can't see the attraction myself, but hey, it takes all sorts, so I shall revise all things bail before the exam.




3 comments:

Swiss Tony said...

BM, what are you going to do when you get to 'P'? Looking forwards to X and Z though.

I have found with multiple choice questions that you read them once, twice, three times, then close your eyes and stab at the paper.

I always thought MCT's would be simple. But those pesky providers do tend to make the question go more than one way.

Even when I think I have done well I get 5/10. I don't like them at all.

Which one of the following... Which of the following... Did,, didn't... is... isn't... can... can't... I DON'T BLOODY KNOW!

Swizzle

Barmaid said...

Z is easy enough, I'll save it until last day of BVC and then post a 'do not disturb' sign with Zzzzzzz underneath.

As for MCT exams, yup they are tricky and so much to remember: must, may, might...I DON'T BLOODY KNOW EITHER????

Oh well, we'll laugh about all this one day!!!

Anonymous said...

You have my SINCERE sympathies, BM. I was never subjected to MCT's as a final assessment of knowledge, and I think its generally quite an unfair way of going about it, particularly given that there may be at least one, perhaps two questions which may require a guess.
Despite this, however, I am sure that you will deal with this upcoming lergie with your usual thorough application and considerable panache! :)