Friday 20 February 2009

Q is for quixotic

Quixotic - adj - preoccupied with an unrealistically optimistic or chivalrous approach to life; impractically idealistic.


I'm quixotically hoping that my lack of revision won't have any effect on my forthcoming MCT exam. I have been so busy this week that study has been neglected, but today I condensed my civil notes down to 9 pages and hope that they will suffice for the purposes of the exam. Not sure if anyone else experiences this, but it is often at revision time that I finally understand what a particular subject was all about. It was only today that the penny finally dropped with search orders and I realised they were/are one and the same as Anton Piller orders which I allegedly studied during LLB, but failed to recognise.


On the whole Criminal Litigation is proving to be more difficult to revise than Civil Litigation. There is such a lot of case law to remember and many tricky areas such as sentencing, bail and the dreaded reverse burdens of proof. I have charts to peruse in order to hammer home Lucas Directions, Newton Hearings, Galbraith and Turnbull. PACE is also figuring hot on the top ten list of things to read this weekend, particularly powers of arrest and detention. Such a lot to remember and so little space available to store it all in. At least I haven't yet resorted to sticking a home-made poster on the fridge door which is exactly what I did when cramming for Land Law and Trusts, it was the only way to make myself remember covenants and easements. Moody v Streggles is still embedded in my brain, but it didn't turn up in the exam.


My mock Conference exam is next week and I'm hoping that my plan is sufficient to afford a decent mark, the only area I'm uncertain about is sentencing, which on the whole is an art, rather than a science. I also have advocacy next week, which consists of a no case to answer, this one looks hopeful and pretend client should hopefully walk free.


I'm still unsure when I receive my very first proper assessment mark for the Legal Research, but I get to know my mark for the mock Opinion next week. I re-read my Opinion paper a couple of days and realised with annoyance and dismay that I'd messed up with the limitation period for product liability. Funny how these things are blatantly obvious when it's too late to correct them? Hopefully it shouldn't be too disastrous, as limitation wasn't a problem anyway, but nevertheless it looks pretty bad on my part.


My credit card was cloned this week and the bank didn't let me know for 5 days that they had put a stop on the card, it was only when I tried to use it in a shop and it was declined that I realised anything untoward. Imagine what a mess I'd have been in if I was away from home at the time and was relying on my card for fuel or accommodation. As if banks aren't unpopular enough at the moment! I'm now trying to fathom just when/how my details were nicked. I've a good mind to go back to using cash - when I've paid off my overdraft, BVC fees, mortgage, holiday...




3 comments:

Minx said...

A- HAH!! I take umbridge with your definition, Ms Maid! According to the OED:

' Quixotic (adj) High Minded and Unselfish to an impractical extent: The quixotic desire to do good ( Origin: Don Quixote, Cervantes)'

Widening this definition, in your quixotic desire to do goo,I think you are far too rough with yourself - your post demonstrates that you are extraordinarliy knowledgeable with respect to Crim, and I dont think you will have any trouble with either it, or with Civil with respect to your MCT'S.

I dont know how the marking system works at your Provider, but at mine, PLR didnt come back until the very end of the first year for part time students, or at the end of the year for the full time. Take heart from your Opinion when you get it back; you worked hard on it, have realised that one or two things are wrong and so you are in a good position to accept the praise and the criticisms of your tutors in equal measure, but I'm sure you are going to be absolutely fine. :)

The only thing I have to say about banks is this:

"£$%^%^&&*(*&*())_(*^%"£$%^""!££$%^%$"£%$£$%.
( Very many expletives deleted, since I do not wish to sully your blog with tawdry comments eminating from my potty mouth in this regard)

Swiss Tony said...

Blimey BM, you lucky thing. You manage to understand things and they click into place when you revise.

Oooh, what I would give for those special powers of intelligence. Things click into place for me weeks after the exam!

I have just realised what a Trust is!

Swizz

ps Good luck for the MCT. We don't do proper exams at CofL. We have class quizes.

Barmaid said...

LM - I'm not sure on the marking, but the full-timers have had their results for Legal Research and the MCT, so I'm guessing we will get to know the good/bad news before end of term.

Swizz, Trusts Law was everybodies favourite, so easy to understand, almost as easy as the rules under Land Law for registered and unregistered estates, what memories that has brought back of those 2 subjects! Lecturer said to me "don't worry, it will all click into place at the end of the course" - I'm still waiting!

Oh well, back to revision...