Sunday 8 March 2009

T is for Tomfoolery


Tomfoolery - n - foolish behaviour

Ok, so last week, due to impending Bar exams, I had to miss out on what transpired to be a really good 'girls night in' at friend's house. At these do's there is always an abundance of alcohol and tomfoolery and cake and gossip and temporary loss of memory the day after. But for once I had to be sensible and decline the invitation, but had a chance to make amends this weekend when I took 2 guests to my Inn for dinner, plied them with cocktails, wine and port and a good night was had by all.


Not to be outdone, friend was hosting a birthday party for her daughter last night, and as is often the case out here in the sticks, these do's tend to expand into a general celebration of anything that springs to mind and a local knees up ensues.

I get a lot of 'good ideas' when I've had a bevvie or 2 and it seems that at some point during the evening, it was a 'good idea' to show off my equestrian skills and have a go on the daughter's birthday treat, a mechanical bucking bronco. The thing is, and being an expert in hindsight, it is best to fall off bucking bronco as soon as possible, because the longer one stays put, the faster and wilder the bucking bronco goes. So today I have a stiff hip, a sprained left wrist, a sore right hand, a black eye and street cred (according to all and sundry under 16 who witnessed the sorry spectacle). When will I ever learn?


5 comments:

barboy said...

An unlikely tale, I submit. We know what you chavvy northern law students are really like. Are you sure you weren't scrapping outside the local chippy, as is your wont on a Friday night ?

Barmaid said...

One has to protect one's mushy peas, doesn't one?

Anonymous said...

Your extensive catalogue of injuries is indeed deeply impressive, Maid, to the extent that learned counsel would probably capitulate to your every demand with respect to the running of a case! ( Except, perhaps, for Mr Pineapples, who, bieng a Boxer, would relish a bit of a punch up)

I thought you were supposed to get a soft landing off these contraptions onto some nice padded mats! I do hope that Bar-Os has never inflicted any such battering upon yourself - and if he has, I expect he's stood over you , shaken his head and muttered something about Volenti.....

Barmaid said...

Yes LM there was a soft landing, but it appears BM cannot do a graceful dis-mount to save her life and most of the injuries were due to various parts of my anatomy colliding with each other on landing:-)

I'm not drinking ever again:-)

Anonymous said...

If you arent drinking EVER again, my name is, in fact, MILDRED.