Friday 4 September 2009

7 Days and Counting



Back to school next week:-(



Today Barman bought me a nice new jotter, a proper grown up one with coloured tabs, no excuses now for being totally disorganised and untidy *cough*.

It is quite amusing to look through last year's jotter and see relatively neat, orderly writing, followed by an ever decreasing scrawly mess as the academic year progressed.

Drafting is one of my favourite subjects, but having not done any for a few months, I'd completely forgotten how to do it and had put off doing the homework until yesterday. Thankfully the thinking about it was much worse than the reality of doing it and I managed to get the work done in a couple of hours. I've still got the counterclaim (of a defence and counterclaim) to do, but I think that it'll be ok?

I've had the timetable through for next year and we have a change of tutor for all of the subjects. There is one tutor who has an excellent reputation for his advocacy tuition and my small group has him for the most of year two. Best of all, my favourite tutor (who we only had on the odd occasion) is teaching my group Opinion Writing and Drafting. If I don't go into airhead mode, I stand a chance of doing ok in the written skills, but I can be very blinkered at times and miss out the most obvious points!


Most of the home work is done (in a fashion), but I need a couple of days to tidy it all up. I'm hoping to grab one or two days next week to have a break. Having worked and studied through the Summer hols, I'm shattered and am in need of some shoe shopping.

p.s. this is my 100th blog post and I've still got readers! Must be a hell of a lot of insomniacs out there!





6 comments:

Unknown said...

Counterclaim - just lay it out the same as a Particulars of Claim, but wherever you want to plead something that's already in your defence, just say "Paragraphs N, N and N, above, are repeated." - and then in the prayer, "AND the Defendant Counterclaims ..." - easypeasy :)

Last long haul now Barmaid... less than a year and you'll be Called to the Bar !!

Barmaid said...

Think I might have to go for a late call, I've only clocked up 4 dining sessions to date. I had hoped to dine during the study weekends, but the dates seldom matched with student dining.

Looks like I have a lot of eating to look forward to next Summer:-)

Unknown said...

Hmm... sign up for the introductory weekend (if you can, as a second year), do the two education days (last year there was one in Feb, one in March) - they count as two each, at Lincoln's anyway - don't know which Inn you're a member of. Call night is compulsory as the 12th, so then you'd just need another 3 (if you can't do the intro weekend). Maybe try and get on one of the residentials?

Last year, Lincoln's ran an on-circuit Advocacy evening which counted as 1 session, but again since you're technically a London student I don't know whether anything similar happens...

It's not hard to clock them up quickly if you go for the big events :)

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

This year will fly by, thats for certain; you'll look back on this post in March and think the Summer ( such as it was, if it can in fact be alleged to be summer in the first place) a faint and fuzzy dream you had in another existence!
Tell you what, though: you'll be really glad of all the prep you're doing right now, as arse numbing and generally brain rotting as it may seem, and set you on the path to that VC ( at the very LEAST!!)
Glad to see, too, that you have tutors to whom you can relate, who enthuse and drive you; this is unbelievably important, particularly toward the end of the course.
As to organising your work, have you had a butchers at Travis'es posts on this very subject? She is the undisputed QUEEN of organisation, to be sure, and has come up with all sorts of useful tips with respect to the great paper chase!
( having said this, I am now off , with my miners lamp and Alan the Canary, to shore up the walls of the paper bunker I'm presently sitting in before it collapses)

Barmaid said...

LM - Yes I do keep telling myself that all the work will stand me in good stead. Bit daunting looking at all the exams lined up, but it's the same for everyone else.

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

Dont contemplate the exams just yet - if you go down that route, you will daunt yourself. Rather, concentrate on being as typically wonderful as you always are with regard to reading, preparation, and practice presentation. If you do, I absolutely CANNOT for the life of me see you going in any way wrong whatsoever.