Monday 7 December 2009

The start of the exams

Well, it's been all go for the last week or so and the BVC homework has been seemingly never ending. Today I have been reading through the Civil Litigation homework questions and have completed about three quarters of them, but I may have to leave them in order to finish off some Criminal Litigation homework and also have a final tweak at my Drafting formative (which I intended to tweak at the weekend but somehow didn't find the time). This weekend sees the last of the Civil and Criminal tutorials before the MCT in January.

I've done no Christmas shopping as of yet and must make a bit of an effort soon, but shopping doesn't float my boat and I suspect that it will be a last minute online clickathon.

I've been practising my advocacy on Barman, who, when I'd finished my cross-examination of him, he uttered one word; "bitch". Perhaps I need to tone it down a bit, but what the heck, it's like PMT heaven:-)  Best friend is invited to mine tomorrow to be a witness, good job I haven't bought her Christmas present yet, she may never speak to me again! Her boyfriend has been appointed as judge in the proceedings and I suspect that the two of them are conspiring against me as I write.

My fondness of advocacy dwindled last year and I got a bit bored with the interim civil applications that we had to perform each month, but this year's witness handling is much more fun, not least because my group has a very good tutor, who's enthusiasm is contagious, so much so, that one or two of the staunch civil aspirants are contemplating a switch to the criminal bar instead!

The early nights are a bit depressing, but I do find that studying is a little more focused without the distractions of nice weather to lure me away from the computer. However, in a slight distraction to the Costs homework I decided to throw myself around the house to the Prodigy's 'Fire Starter' and tonight have a slightly sore back and a somewhat bewildered neighbour.

Seem to think that call dates are to be released soon - ooh er, it's all getting a bit real - wigs, gowns and the small matter of several dining sessions to complete. I'm not one for being suspicious, but I do feel a little intrepidation at having to book my call night when I've got such a lot of exams lined up.



8 comments:

barboy said...

Firestarter. Crikey, Maid, we knew you were old, but not that old !

Barmaid said...

I would frown at your comment BB, but alas the botox won't allow me to.

Beth said...

Gosh. BPP seem to load all your assessments into the 2nd year. P/t at City we have 6 in the first year and 6 in the second year. Good luck with everything you still have left to do!

Barmaid said...

Thanks Beth.

Yup BPP part-timers take most exams in the second year, there 8 + the mocks in the second year!

barboy said...

Maid, still running with the old botox excuse, I see. You really should come to terms with the fact that there is no shame in being a stroke victim; it happens to loads of people in their advanced years. And, besides, people are secretly admiring of you slurring your way undaunted through your advocacy, albeit that you do rather leave a lot of dribble all over the lectern.

Bar-barella said...

Wow Barboy,
talk about cruel!
Barmaid there is only one way to dance to Firestarter and throwing yourself about sounds more than adequate!
So the key to advocacy is practicing on friends and family? Great tip!

Barb.
x

Barmaid said...

My dear Barboy, we can't all be young upstarts like your good self.

p.s. no, I'm not bothered about loaning your Bay City Rollers LP, but thanks for the offer anyway:-)

Barmaid said...

Bar-barella, yes practising on relatives comes highly recommended, even if they do laugh:-)