Tuesday 30 March 2010

Big Pants

The big day came and I felt mighty fine. The Advocacy 3 exam was upon me and I was well prepared, confident and ready to go. Got an early train so that I'd have plenty of time for delays and coffee and a final glance at the brief. So, 30 minutes before the oral exam I'm called into a room, given my last minute instructions, which were fairly predictable and everything was going exactly to plan. That is until 10 minutes before the oral exam when the nerves kicked in good and proper. I just couldn't get my breath and my mind blanked. I shuffled and re-shuffled my papers, looked at my notes, tried to do the deep breathing thing, but nothing worked.

Examiner came to collect me and I went into the room where I was to do the exam. Had a bit of a chat with the actor and the examiner before starting and luckily I calmed down a bit and managed to find my voice. I'm certain that it wasn't my best performance, but it wasn't my worst either. Time will tell?

Now it is a matter of waiting for the results.

On Saturday I had the Advanced Crime classes and although I hate to admit it, the module just isn't floating my boat at the moment. The first class covered abuse of process applications and the second class covered proceeds of crime and confiscation orders.

So, I just have 2 study weekends remaining, plus the final study weekend when I have the 2 options exams.

This week I intended to have a break from BVC, but brain thinks otherwise! On Sunday night I couldn't sleep and re-runs of the exam kept going through my head - then when I did finally get to sleep, I kept waking up in a panic because I was dreaming about sodding BVC. Yesterday I was really busy with my day job, so my mind was distracted from studies, but last night the dreams returned. I don't think I've ever dreamt about BVC before, but for the last 2 nights I've sat countless exams, encountered every random problem that could ever arise (as they do in dreams), had arguments with the witness, the examiner, other students, you name it, I dreamt about it.

I think that there is a bottle of single malt in the kitchen with my name on it for this evening's bedtime beverage. Strictly for medicinal purposes of course.

I suppose I ought to be thinking about OLPAS, but I'm not. Haven't done anything towards preparing for applications. Maybe tomorrow...

6 comments:

Bar-barella said...

Seriously, Adv Criminal?! I opted for Family and Mediation (despite my dodgy negotiation skills). I was thinking of changing to advanced Criminal.

Do you know what Family and Mediation is like @col?


Barb.

x

Minx said...

My Dear Maid,

Sometimes I think this is the worst part of the BVC - the end of all, with cause not merely to reflect on one's exam performance, but back over the course in general... hmm - may I join you in a swig of medicinal whiskey ( make mine a TRIPLE, and NEAT.....!!)
Seriously though, I am totally CONFIDENT that you will be absolutely fine; you have worked extremely hard, and all the rewards will soon be yours!

Barmaid said...

Bar-b - no idea what the col options are like. Swiss Tony is the man to ask on that one (over at 'Will I be Barred').

Maybe it's just me with the advanced crim and maybe it's just because it's getting near to the end of the course and I've switched off 2 months too early! :-) I really don't think options matter too much (so I'm told anyway?). Good luck!

Minxy - how right you are - so many exams, so few results. And the endless going over stuff in my mind is driving me nuts. I think there will be that sense of anti-climax that I felt when I finished LLB.

Triple and neat eh! I can see that you are made of finer barristerial stuff than moi!

Anonymous said...

BM

I too found advanced Crim a dissapointing DRAG. I acutely remember a MORTIFYING advocay excercise during it - (thank god that exam was already in the bag as it was clearly a 1 of fluke) and the whole sorry incident was one from which i never recovered during the module (and the assesment is on something different and fine - so don't worry about the course)!!!!

Good luck with OLPAS - I am determined to get mine in quickly this year!

Halloween Fancy Dress Costumes said...

Get ready for halloween ladies as its not far away now!

Michelle said...

Get your fancy dress outfits ready, it's only 1 month to go.