Wednesday 17 March 2010

I'm not one to gossip, but...

It's a strange phenomenon, but whenever I get a bit stressed the electrical appliances in the house tend to go a bit haywire. Usually it's just the odd bulb or two blowing. Last week was particularly stressful, mostly due to impending exams. I'm not really one for talking things over and tend to bottle things up a bit, so I guess all the energy has to dissipate through some channel?

Anyway, best friend called round for a cuppa just before the weekend and I had a particularly salacious piece of gossip to impart. BF is quite loud and there was much "No, you're kidding, when was that?" etc. The gossip entailed the extra marital goings on of a neighbour, who I'd espied with my own eyes, up to no good. So, that was the end of that gossip session, BF went home and Barman arrived home in the evening. All perfectly normal village life. 

A little later on that evening, I nipped outside and was surprised that I could hear Barman's telephone conversation being transmitted to the village. I went back inside and told him what I could hear, so he hot footed it outside, whilst I stood in lounge talking. Yup, sure enough, what I was saying in the lounge was being heard loud and clear outside. Turns out that our security system had somehow gone into overdrive and was picking up sound from the lounge and transmitting it outside. So, bloggers, my salacious piece of top secret gossip had been transmitted not only to best friend, but also to all and sundry within a stone's throw of my house. Needless to say, I've kept a low profile in the village this week:-)

Since then, the kettle has blown up, the hob has fused and a radio that we never use was blasting out on Saturday morning when Barman got back from dropping me off at the train station. Today I avoided using the vacuum cleaner and the washing machine (no change there then:-)) Ooh er!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

barmaid .. omg ! what a story :O)
i will always remember the night my now ex husband rang his boss at home ( during his dinner party ) for his weekly update .. the boss anxious to get back to his guests was quite dismissive and the call ended.
i then picked up the phone to make a call only to find the previous call had not disconnected and the boss was discussing my ex in the most awful way .. i think the words slimey arrogant and w*anker were used .. i passed the phone over to him and he was mortified !! so what did he do .. he rang him back !!!!!!
sometimes keeping a low profile is a good tactic
steph x

Barmaid said...

Hi Steph - well, they do say that no good comes from idle gossip. It serves me right I suppose, but all very embarrassing!

Your ex must have some ego, I think that I'd have been mortified to have heard myself described in such a way:-) Count your blessings that he's now your ex eh!

simply wondered said...

as we were in the process of buying a house (rather fraught) i had an answering machine message from the agents. they obviously hadn't put the phone down and i continued to hear 10 minutes of how much the vendors hated us blah blah blah. i found it all very amusing as we were taking a hard line on negotiation and they didn't like it at all. best bit is that vendors having moved away from the village for 2 years then buy the house opposite ours! they glare at us as we pass. happy days.

AW said...

Thats so funny and slightly spooky! I break things when I'm stressed out... today I broke a bowl and a glass in the space of two minutes when I decided to try and be helpful and wash the dishes.

barboy said...

Maid, let's hope you weren't indiscretely gossiping about your neighbour with the nipples like valve stops, and a penchant for wearing skimpy tops. It's not that your earlier post on the subject has stuck in my mind more than others. They are all equally memorable; I mention that one purely at random (cough).

Swiss Tony said...

BM, I don't want you to go thinking things could be worse, because they could well be.

That email you sent me yesterday, I think was intended for your course assessment officer. The offers of chocolate, money and all sorts of other things I dare not repeat in return for a VC in negotiation and the MCT's is not something I can help you with. Sorry.

To try and help though, as only Swiss knows how to help, he has forwarded it to the BSB, all heads of chambers, BPP's esteemed owners, and its on youtube too. I am sure someone will notice it and be able to sort it out for you.

I hope that helps

Swiss

Barmaid said...

AW - I hope you broke the dishes before washing them:-)

BB - hate to disappoint, but no it wasn't Raspberry Ripples this time. I'm afraid said lady has of late become quite prim and proper, perhaps the said Ripples fell off in the extremely cold weather and she now has to cover up?

Barmaid said...

Swizz - what can I say, your kindness underwhelms me.

p.s. it was an O in Negotiation that I was after (looks like I shall get an 'Oh!' instead)