Monday 18 May 2009

Easy month - yeh right!

It should have been a fairly easy month this month. Just the Advocacy exam to prepare for and some drafting homework (which I haven't looked at yet), but as ever I have yet again been burning the midnight oil, mostly due to my own fault for having a bright idea a few weeks back when I decided to submit a short written piece into a competition for a moot.


The results for the competition were due out and I heard nothing, so assumed that my paper had been rejected. However, a few days later I received an email saying that I'd been chosen to take part in the moot and sorry for the delay. No problem thought I, a nice little burglary or perhaps a criminal damage or maybe even a simple little negligence appeal, you know the sort, Mr Clumsy fell of a ladder and wants to appeal on the basis that the £70 damages awarded for the slight injury to his ankle did not take account of the massive injury to his pride . Mmm, I should be so lucky, I have spent a week trying to do a whistlestop tour of statutory and common law fraud since Victorian times right up to the present day Fraud Act 2006.

Golly Ghosh and touchy Feely, it's been a busy week and I'm far from certain that I have really got the gist of some of the caselaw that existed prior to Feely. What a subject to try to get to grips with in the space of a few days. Apparently I did study Ghosh during LLB, but it is all a (very) distant memory, so distant in fact that I have no recollection of it at all. I blame it on the Olpasiformia Nervosa, it's been a devil to shake off and I'm still not quite back to my old self.


Roll on June and the Summer break - my brain is full to bursting and my bank balance is empty, apart from that all is well.




11 comments:

Swiss Tony said...

Excuses excuses, all you are trying to do is avoid your posting Z is for.....

I get the impression that if you make enough fuss about all the work you have to do, you will get away with Z is for ...Zzzzzzzz.

Not a chance BM, we expect better of you.

Good luck with the Moot. I bet it will be a hoot.

Swizzy

Minx said...

Ewwww, Fraud is such an ugly, lovely and comprehensively DIRTY little word isn't it? While I am not an especial fan of the Criminal Law, this is one area that casts before it a certain je ne sais quois because it is so tricksy and difficult to demonstrate. Consequently, it can only offer you the best possible therapy in your recovery from Olpasiformia Nervosa - well that, and a nice lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng holiday wherein any MENTION of law or legally related matters will instantaneously cause you to cover your ears while chanting "La La La La La La La, I am NOT Listening!!!!!" ( I do hope the hopi ear candles will not impede this part of your recovery, if they are still in situ, so to speak)

Barmaid said...

Swizzle - The 'z' word was going to be Zzzzzz after the final study weekend was over, but I'll now have to be more imaginative.

LM - You too have leaked my secret information, the 'La La La La La I'm not listening' was my killer line for tomorrow's moot when senior counsel for the other side tries to out do my 'Fraud for Dummies' submissions.

*tut* - back to the drawing board.

Anonymous said...

Hey how was the moot. You might have been with some people in my class!

Barmaid said...

LG - moot was good, it was my first and I wasn't as polished as many others who have mooted before, but I enjoyed it.

simply wondered said...

bollocks to that! did you win???

Barmaid said...

SW - bollocks indeed, no I didn't:-)

Bar boy said...

Sorry to read of your humiliating defeat, BM. What went wrong. Did the judge mark you down for having traipsed horse poo into his courtoom ?

Barmaid said...

BB - please - you know quite as well as I - it's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts.

I seem to think that the judge had trouble understanding my local, yokel accent and anyway, I did say that the horse poo came free and it would do his tomato plants a world of good. No pleasing some folk...

Anonymous said...

Well at least you can tick that box now BM, and learn for the next one. Like everything else in this wiggy business its about practice!

Barmaid said...

LG, Yes practice sure as heck makes a big difference. I do need to practice my advocacy much more, it is one of the drawbacks of being part-time and living at the back of beyond. It's just not the same doing it at home with no-one to advise as to how to improve.