Friday 29 May 2009

Revelation


Last Christmas I bought myself a book from Amazon without actually looking at what it was about (I was buying books for everyone else and added one for myself as an afterthought). I just chose the side-bar option for crime/thriller and picked the book with a high reader ranking. Imagine my shock when opening the book and reading the words:

'The high chandeliers of Lincoln's Inn were ablaze with candles, for it was late afternoon when the play began. Most members of Lincoln's Inn were present, the barristers in their robes...'

Unfortunately the demands of BVC meant that I didn't get a chance to read the book until earlier this week. It's set in 1543 and tells the story of Matthew Shardlake, a barrister who becomes involved in the hunt for a serial killer. If you are looking for a good book to disappear into, I recommend C.J. Sansom's 'Revelation'.



In a week's time year 1 of BVC will be over, I have the first of 3 Advocacy assessments next week and need to knuckle down and get myself sorted. As far as I'm aware, we have a long wait for the results which aren't released until mid-July, along with the Conference results. All in all it's been a tough year and I suspect next year will be equally, if not more demanding because year 2 contains the bulk of the 12 BVC assessments. The thought of another Civil/Criminal Litigation exam fills me with dread, so much information to try and memorise in such a short space of time. The remaining exams include Negotiation (which we haven't started yet), Drafting, Opinion Writing, 2 more Advocacy, 2 x electives and the aforementioned Civil/Criminal MCT.



Oh well, no-one said it would be easy - well actually they did, they must've been having a laugh.



8 comments:

Android said...

Good luck for your advocacy assessments! I'm sure you won't need it though :)

Barmaid said...

Thanks A, I'm just about to run through my notes and see how it flows.

Minx said...

All the best for Advocacy, BM ( I am really not trying to give in to repeated statement to the effect that i KNOW you will be absolutely FINE, because you WILL!)- have a quick flick through ' The Devils Advocate' - if you have a copy to hand - It's pretty useful at a time such as this! :)

Barmaid said...

Thanks LM. I know I'm capable of doing ok in the advocacy, but I seem to defeat myself at times with it all and get into a tangle with the simplest of things! Dare I ask if you have had any positives from the old PP yet?

Yes, I have Devil's Advocate and will have a little browse before the exam.

Minx said...

I haven't heard a single WRETCHED thing as of yet, BM, I'm afraid ( In fact, I'm VERY Afraid!!)Whinger got a rejection from 3 Verulam Buildings,and SmugDiva didnt get anywhere with 2 Bedford Row, but otherwise I don't know of any one else who applied through OLPAS to be in the same position. I personally expect the rejections to come tumbling in by the middle of next week! How about yourself - any news to the good?!

Barmaid said...

LM - I've had 2 rejections. Oh well, plenty more where they came from I'm guessing.

Minx said...

I am sorry to hear of your rejections, BM - you are very wise to accept it as 'just one of those things'. I wish I was as sensible about the whole wretched process as you are -I just deleted one of my apps by MISTAKE, and thereafter proceeded to a tantrum of such epic proportions that it even put Toddler Related to Minx to shame!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very interesting book, although perhaps not the ideal time to find something wonderful to read? Good luck with all the assessments, though!