Friday 15 August 2008

Word of the day

Well, I said that I might and having just read the latest from Simon Myerson's blog, I've decided that I will 'do' a word a day. I'll try and choose something that could be used in a legal environment and of course it has to be a word that makes a nice sound when uttered. Being endlessly imaginative, I thought I'd start with 'A'.

anathema - n - 1. a detested person or thing, 2. the person or thing so cursed, 3. a strong curse

Example: I don't like the defendant, he is anathema to me.

Bad Example: My client cannot attend court today, he's had anathema attack :-)

2 comments:

Minx said...

Good Word Maid!
did you go for it because it sounds nice when it trips off the tongue because it gives endless scope for witty fun ( as in " I have to go to the Drs for an anaethma, I really am most irregular") or as combination of the two?

My fave Mot De Jour at present is
aphelion - n- the point in a planet's orbit at which it is furthest from the sun.

Example: Ah. I see Planet Earth has reached aphelion.

Very Bad Example ( Indeed) I'm aphelion under the weather......

Barmaid said...

It does kinda have a nice sensual sound about it, particularly if said in a French accent.

Better see what fun can be had with the letter 'B'.

p.s. I'm aphelion pretty good today and haven't had anathema attack for ages.