Monday 8 June 2009

There it was gone

At long last year 1 of BVC is over. Today I feel relaxed but exhausted. There is a mountain of study materials to sort out and to file, but I think it will have to wait for a day or two.



The Advocacy exam went quite well, the 12 minutes seemed to pass very quickly and I was amazed when it was all over. Luckily my nerves were ok during the exam, but my legs turned to jelly afterwards and I was unable to eat anything until evening time due to the butterflies. In fact it was really quite enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way. Some of the younger students were extremely distressed before the exam and I had to take myself off and hide in a corner away from them and make myself stay focused. I had practised my opening lines so many times and had convinced myself that if I got through the preliminaries smoothly, succinctly and calmly, the main bulk of my submissions would be so much easier to handle. I think the strategy paid off, as for me the nerves are always worst at the beginning.



The results to my mock Drafting exam were ok too and the few minutes individual feedback from the tutor were extremely helpful. Drafting is a difficult module, it resembles nothing that is studied at LLB level, so there are no transferable skills to speak of (apart from the obvious, such as spelling and punctuation), but it is a rewarding module and has more reality attached to it than other modules, which by necessity of law school confines, have a synthetic and sometimes silly feel about them. I must admit that it feels very 'grown up' to have Drafted a Particulars of Claim or an Injunction reasonably successfully.



I now need to concentrate on my 'proper' job and bring in some money before BVC recommences in September.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done BM sure you have done tops!!

Deffo have a couple of days to relax - you deserve it!

Minx said...

Well Done BM - you must be soooooo pleased that its all done with for the Summer - to say nothing of head explodingly PROUD of yourself, given that the P/T BVC is an awkward little devil to get to grip with at times!

Have a truly wonderful Summer's break - dont work too hard at your real world work, and please dont desert us in the Ether!! ( I'll miss you if you do!!)

Barmaid said...

Thanks LG - I guess you must be home and dry with your studies?

Thanks too LM - Fear not, I shall continue to blog throughout the Summer months.

Anonymous said...

Well i am doing the LLM conversion so I will be plodding on with that. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the VC now - drafting out tommorrow SIGH!!

Anonymous said...

PS whatever happened to bar boy? He seemed to change his blog name, then dissapear!

Barmaid said...

LG - Glutton for punishment eh! I too spent 6 years doing the part-time LLB before BVC, so you definitely deserve a medal for tackling the LLM too:-)
I'm sure you'll do just fine in the Drafting.

bar boy said...

My google account has gone tits-up; e-mails, blogs, readers, the whole shebang. Trying to retrieve, but not looking good presently.

simply wondered said...

well done - the more i see you part-timers the more respect i have for you having to do the course the hard way. good luck and stick with it.

Barmaid said...

Many thanks SW. Must admit, the thought of doing it all again next year fills me with dread but maybe I'll feel better after a rest. For now I need to earn some money and forget about BVC for a few weeks, which of course is easier said than done when the 'silly season' is upon us all.

Well done you for getting through it and good luck with your results.