Wednesday 24 June 2009

You're once, twice, thirty seven times rejected

I applied for a non-olpas pupillage 3 months ago and was rejected by the Chambers about 6 weeks later. Pretty bog standard so far I hear you say, but yesterday I received another rejection from them, followed by a gap, followed by a dozen further, late morning rejections from the same Chambers. At this point the clerk must have broken off for a little light lunch before resuming his now truly onerous task for the afternoon, that of rejecting Barmaid another 24 times.

I ran an idea past Swizzle and collectively we have agreed that I should start off with the very smallest font and simply reply to the first email 'OK', followed by ever increasing Okay's until the thirty seventh reply is the most humongously large OK that is possible, might even have to send 2 emails, one with an 'O', the other with a 'K'.


Yesterday I finally tackled the job of sorting out all of my BVC folders, which were in various states of disarray, and today I have cleaned out my kitchen cupboards and tidied the garage. So, that's enough Domestic Goddessness for 1 year, I'm now itching to get my teeth into something pupillagey, so if there are any Chambers out there who would like to engage the services of a pupil/cleaner with an immaculate garage and show room shiny kitchen, I'm your (wo)man. p.s. You won't need to tell me everything 37 times, once usually does the trick:-)



5 comments:

barboy said...

Encouraging to read that these barrister chappies are on top of this new fangled interweb thang.

Not so encouraged to realise that my easy recognition of the source of your blog title means I must be a decrepid old fart. Looked it up, and it's 31 years ago. Doubly tragic is that I found myself compelled to have a listen on YouTube. Ho, hum, off to polish my zimmer frame.

Lost said...

I've heard similar stories of people being rejected for mini-pupillages about 7 or 8 times...

Seems completly disheartening!
Oh well..
Screw them I say!

simply wondered said...

you're just going to have to accept they don't want you. maybe the others were rejections in advance for any other year you feel like applying... or freinds. let me know and if they haven't rejected me yet, i'll use one of your rejections.

Barmaid said...

Do you really think they don't want me? I thought their actions were a tad indecisive and did wonder about giving them a call, but I really don't think I could face 37 interviews:-)

Swiss Tony said...

BM, I think you need to email back and ask if they have actually rejected you because they haven't been clear.

I would be inclined to send the email 38 times.

To my continual excitement and satisfaction, I have been rejected 27 times so far out of only 12 applications. I feel slightly irritated that you are ahead of me in the race to complete a full house of rejections.

Do your emails actually say 'Rejected'? Mine all said 'Reject'

I wonder if its just Barboy trying to get back at me for that Chinese burn I gave him in the playground.

Swizz

Oh great, security word 'REJECTED'